BE KIND. BE STRONG. BE FREE.
"Lokaah Samastaah Sukhino Bhavantu" "May All Beings Be Happy and Free" –traditional Sanskrit chant
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" –Mohandas K. Gandhi
We love being a part of this amazing community and neighborhood! We are committed to practicing “Karma Yoga”, or the yoga of selfless service, in as many ways as we can. For us, this takes the shape of serving our community and to being an active participant in furthering a world where all beings can be happy and free. We are just one small business, but it is only through the actions of individuals that true change is made. We practice karma yoga in the following ways:
- As an experiment in offering financially inclusive yoga, we are giving a tiered yoga payment system a try.
- Please support our efforts in this regard by using the payment option that you can afford.
- These payments will be offered for all our weekly classes (on-line, hybrid and in-person).
- We offer these options freely without attachment, and we hope that our community will be able to balance the payment tiers: with some students who can pay more doing so that that others can attend for less.
- This tiered payment experiment can only continue if Lotus can thrive both as a business and as a community moving together toward a more inclusive yoga and mindful movement culture.
- Please know that you are welcome here.
- Tiered payment options include the following options:
- Sustaining – these payments pay our expenses and keep us in business, please pay this if you can.
- Sliding Scale – for those who couldn’t otherwise attend class.
- Pay-it-forward – for those who can pay more to help support others.
Organizations We Have Worked With to Offer Benefit Classes:
Converge Media: Converge media is an incredible NW news organization. Converge Media is a leading producer of culturally relevant content in Seattle and across the Pacific Northwest. We create videos, editorial and creative writing, podcasts, and local news coverage curated specifically for an urban audience. We believe that the Black community deserve authentic representation, a focus on our community’s issues, and equitable access to elected officials, leadership, and governmental information.
Founded by Seattle Central District natives Omari Salisbury and Erik Kalligraphy, from day one, Converge Media has been a platform to amplify not only our own original content but also the content of independent African-American creators throughout the region, providing them with access to our engaged audience that is interested in their voices and perspectives. (whereweconverge.com)
Annual Thanksgiving Day Benefit Classes: An annual tradition at Lotus from the beginning and taught by Maia Laverty, owner of Lotus these classes benefit Rainier Valley Food Bank, our awesome local foodbank (rvfb.org.)
Family Yoga Benefit Classes: We have partnered with Next Generation Yoga and Nicole Koleshis to offer benefit classes benefiting local Rainier Valley non-profit organizations, including Rainier Valley Food Bank (rvfb.org) and Refugee Woman's Alliance (ReWa: rewa.org).
Team Survivor NW: Offering a broad range of fitness and health education programs to enable women cancer survivors, in any stage of treatment or recovery and at any fitness level, to take an active role in their ongoing physical and emotional healing. For more information on their work please see: (teamsurvivornw.org.)
Nepal Earthquake Relief: This benefit class was taught by Julie Fournier one of our Lotus teachers who studied with a yoga teacher in Nepal. The class benefited Habitat for Humanity and their long-term efforts to rebuild from the major earthquake there in 2015. (habitat.org)
Got Green: Got Green is a Columbia City-based grassroots organization leading community organizing efforts, public policy advocacy, and leadership development programs to ensure that the benefits of the new, green economy — green jobs, access to healthy food, energy efficient homes, and public transit — are widely available to low income communities of color in Seattle/King County and beyond. (gotgreenseattle.org)
Northwest Harvest: A hunger relief agency dedicated to supplying “food for free”, without dues or fees of any kind, to a network of nearly 300 independent food banks and meal programs throughout the state. For more information on their work see: (northwestharvest.org.)