BE KIND. BE STRONG. BE FREE.
TEACHER TRAINING & IN-DEPTH STUDIES
200 Hour Basic Yoga Teacher Training
Our next 200-Hour Teacher Training begins in January 2019!
We are now accepting applications!
The Lotus Yoga 200-Hour Basic Yoga Teacher Training offers an intimate, personalized learning experience with ample time to explore your interests as you deepen your knowledge of yoga. This training is perfect for those who feel called to teach yoga to others, as well as for those who are interested in deepening their personal practice and understanding of yoga. LEARN MORE >>
Our training is heavily rooted in the ancient wisdom of yoga asana and yoga philosophy and is based on a mentorship-style approach to learning, with a maximum number of 8 participants.
Our program focuses on yoga as a comprehensive practice that honors the individual. Our focus is not on asana (yoga postures) alone, but rather on yoga as holistic practice that nourishes us on many levels. Because of this, we feel that this training is accessible to persons of all ages and abilities, and we seek to train our teachers in a way that honors each participants' unique experiences, limitations, needs and interests.
Our philosophy is based on personal inquiry as the heart of yoga and yoga teaching. We believe that compassionate, non-judgmental investigation into the experience of the present moment is the foundation for teaching and practicing yoga from our deepest wisdom. As participants progress along their path, they gather intellectual knowledge about yoga philosophy, anatomy and kinesiology; they master this information, refine this knowledge and then must integrate it with awareness and discernment within the wisdom of the present moment. The skills and knowledge that participants acquire and refine in our training program provide a repertoire for the participant to draw from in service to their deeper knowing: this is what makes yoga practice truly rich and rewarding and what differentiates a good yoga teacher from a great yoga teacher, and this is what we emphasize in our program.
Our program consists of a five-day retreat-style intensive, and six weekend modules with Megan Carroll, our teacher for the Lotus Yoga 200-Hour Basic Yoga Teacher Training. Over the course of the training, participants will have the opportunity to deepen their multi-faceted understanding of yoga history, philosophy and practice, collect new, powerful teaching tools and move forward on the path of deepening their personal practice and becoming an excellent yoga teacher. The training offers its participants the tools to skillfully and confidently teach yoga classes to people of all ages and abilities.
- Become a registered yoga teacher in 6 months!
- Very small class size (8 students maximum.)
- Find & refine YOUR unique teaching voice.
- Our curriculum is designed to meet YOUR unique needs, concerns, & desires.
- Program includes ample one-on-one time with Megan Carroll, our teacher for the 200 hour program.
What some of our previous graduates have said about our program:
- "I was extremely satisfied with my experience in Lotus Yoga Teacher Training. Megan is an amazing teacher and guide, who offered us an extremely cohesive and well thought-out curriculum. The material and training were all so interesting, challenging, and relevant, not only to my teacher training, but toward enhancing my life. And this exponential personal and professional growth all felt manageable in the space that the teacher created and held for us students."
- "The director of the school, lead teacher and all staff and employees of Lotus Yoga with whom I had contact were professional, reliable, friendly, helpful and supportive throughout the training. The program allowed for flexibility within individual needs without sacrificing any portion of the expectations and requirements for completion of all facets of the training. The depth and knowledge of the lead teacher were exceptional and the training provided an extensive background that was beyond any expectations I had. A thoroughly wonderful experience."
- "Definitely exceeded my expectations by being a deeper and richly textured curriculum."
- "This training is one of the most significant things I have ever done and will stay with me forever."
- "The Lotus Yoga teacher training program was exceptional. It was focused on what I call "big picture yoga" or the 8 limbs, and not just on teaching a good mat-based workout. We learned about... what it means to be a yoga teacher (and what it doesn't mean), and about how to develop and good, well-rounded, safe and fun class. I am so very happy I chose to take my training through Lotus Yoga! I can't say enough about the experience... I hope to be able to continue my yoga education with their 300-hour training in another year or two."
Teacher, Megan Carroll, E-RYT 500:
- Megan has been working in the field of yoga for over a decade. Her work as a yoga instructor, yoga therapist and yoga teacher trainer reflects a deep connection to Spirit as well as a comprehensive understanding of the human body that have been developed through her studies in Yoga, Buddhism, dance, anatomy and kinesiology.
- In addition to her yoga instructor certification, Megan is a certified yoga therapist, and holds a bachelor's degree in exercise physiology from Bastyr University. She is currently seeking to evolve her practice through both formal and informal studies in Ayurvedic and herbal medicine, energy work and Eastern psychology.
- Megan feels incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to transmit the powerful and transformative teachings of yoga to others. She brings joy, humor, compassion and a sense of unconditional acceptance to all of her work.
For more information on our program, please read our program catalog:
200 Hour Basic Yoga Teacher Training Catalog
- Applications will be accepted until January 1, 2019 or until the program fills, whichever comes first.
- We do expect this small program to fill. Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis.
- Applications are available on-line: 200 Hour Basic Yoga Teacher Training Application
- Catalogs and Applications are also available at the studio -or- via email at
- If you have questions about the program, please contact us: 206-760-1918
- Maia Laverty – Training administrator:
- Megan Carroll – Teacher, 200 Hour Program:
Lotus Yoga School and Lotus Yoga does not discriminate against students or potential students on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
Accommodation for Students with Disabilities:
If you are a potential student with a disability, we would like to work with you to create a plan for reasonable accommodation if at all possible. Please contact Maia Laverty, Lotus Yoga studio owner and teacher training administrator, at to create a plan for reasonable accommodation.
300 Hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training
You can begin the program at any time! Please see our schedule for current offerings.
Our 300 Hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training offers its participants an mentorship-based, personalized learning experience with ample time to explore their interests as a yoga teacher via our individual study portion of the program. The individual study portion of the program is own to your own design and guided by your mentor- teacher at Lotus: study with one of our teachers, study with your favorite international teacher or create your own learning plan it is up to you! You can now also take most of the training modules "a la carte" to refine your knowledge in a specific subject area or to try out the program before you sign up, and you can begin the program at any time! LEARN MORE >>
This advanced yoga teacher training offers its participants an intimate, personalized learning experience with ample time to explore their interests as a yoga teacher. The program consists of:
- Seven required weekend modules taught at Lotus. For details, see the "Required Modules" section below.
- A generous portion of this program is open or independent study, which allows participants to add their own design to their learning and define, refine and SHINE their own unique style and gifts as a yoga teacher.
- The open-study portion of the program requirements can be fulfilled via several avenues:
- 1. Individual study with guidance, mentorship and feedback from one of our teacher training teachers.
- 2. Taking workshops, classes or trainings with teachers of your choice.
- 3. Combination of options 1 and 2 above.
Our philosophy is based on personal inquiry as the heart of yoga and yoga teaching. We believe that compassionate, non-judgmental investigation into the experience of the present moment is the foundation for teaching from our deepest wisdom. As yoga teachers progress along their path, they must transition from teaching solely from the intellect: the yoga philosophy, anatomy, kinesiology and other intellectual training they have mastered, to a teaching that integrates all of those things in the present moment. This is what differentiates a good yoga teacher from a great yoga teacher, and this is what we emphasize in our program.
We work very closely with each of our students to help achieve their personal best in the field of yoga. In order to maintain this high standard, we limit this program to a maximum of 8 participants per program module. Once a student successfully completes this teacher training, they are eligible to receive a 500 hour certification from the Yoga Alliance (RYT 500).
What students can expect:
- Guidance and support as you define and refine your individual dharma as a yoga teacher.
- A deeper understanding of what it means for you to teach yoga.
- Opportunities to delineate and define what it means to achieve your own personal best in the field.
- The opportunity to receive mentorship in your individual studies should you want it.
- A deeper understanding of yoga philosophy.
- Opportunities to go in-depth with classic texts.
- Tools and guidelines for applying yoga philosophy to modern life.
- A refined understanding yoga philosophy.
- Tools and support that allow you to teach from a place of great wisdom, confidence and skill.
- An understanding of how your unique gifts show up in the classroom.
- How to know the difference between your heart, your head and your intuition.
- How to teach to your highest intentions.
- How to listen to your students and view your students’ practices in ways that help clarify your students’ needs and that prioritize your students’ learning.
- A holistic approach to anatomical and biomechanical study.
- Reimagine anatomy as whole systems of interrelated parts.
- Refine your ability to see and understand what is happening in your students’ physical bodies.
- Learn how to help your students sense in themselves what they are doing in asana and flow, so they can develop their own body intelligence.
- Grow your toolbox for teaching healthy movement to diverse learners.
- Understand Prana in a whole new way.
- How to sequence postures in an energetically safe and sound way.
- A deeper understanding of the body's energetic architecture and its mechanics.
- How to create classes that promote energetic healing.
- How to nurture and heal your own energy as a teacher.
- Expand your understanding of Ayurveda.
- How to incorporate the wisdom of Ayurveda into your personal life for greater well-being.
- How to incorporate Ayurveda into your yoga practice and teaching.
Learn or refine the art of teaching restorative yoga, meditation, yoga nidra and other quiet practices.
- The benefits of slowing down; the physiology of stress and relaxation and the role of the nervous system in healing.
- How to teach an effective class that offers the students the opportunity to calm their nervous systems.
Certification: upon completion of this training, students will:
- Receive a certificate of completion from Lotus Yoga.
- Qualify for a 500 Hour certification from the Yoga Alliance.
The benefits of a very small class size:
- 8 maximum students per program module.
- Curriculum designed to meet your unique needs, concerns and desires.
- Ample one-on-one time with the instructors.
- Mentorship opportunities.
Open/Independent Study Requirements
- Fulfill the open/independent study requirements in any combination of these three options:
- 1. We will be offering other (not required) modules and workshops that can apply toward the independent study portion of the program.
- 2. Study with any teacher anywhere.
- 3. Study on your own with direction, support and mentoring from one of our program teachers.
Required Training Modules:
- Modules can be taken in any order.
- Begin at any time!
- Take each module as offered or spread them out to fit your schedule. You have 3 years to complete all the program modules and requirements.
- All modules are required as part of the training.
- Each of the required modules will be offered at least one time a year, some may be offered more frequently.
- Modules not necessarily offered in order.
- Anatomy Module 1 - Advanced Anatomy and Kinesiology, The Lower Body and Core:
- An in-depth, integrated and inquiry-based approach to the workings of the physical body in Yoga asana.
- Anatomy Module 2 - Advanced Anatomy and Kinesiology, The Upper Body and Core:
- An in-depth, integrated and inquiry-based approach to the workings of the physical body in Yoga asana.
- Module 3 - The Inward Gaze – Part 1:
- The yoga of self-reflection as a pathway to personal and professional growth.
- Module 4 - Prana:
- Advanced tools and techniques for healing, cleansing and clearing the body’s energetic architecture.
- Module 5 - Advanced Ayurveda for Yoga Teachers
- Module 6 - Silence, Stillness, and Quietude:
- Advanced techniques for teaching yoga that heals a stressed-out world.
- Module 7 - The Inward Gaze – Part 2:
- The yoga of self-reflection as a pathway to personal and professional growth. (Module 3 is a required prerequisite of this module.)
Please see our schedule for current offerings.
We offer in depth trainings for those wanting to go deeper with their knowledge and practice of yoga as well as those who are curious about our 300 hour teacher training and would like to check out a module or several before they sign up.